Wednesday 19 September 2012

• p e t a l s•

source


Every flower is unique. Special and different in its own way. 

I really love flowers. They're just so beautiful; so delicate and flimsy but the colours of their petals make them glow in the light whether dim or bright.


However the special quality about flowers for me is the meaning behind each delicate stem and carefully arranged blossom.


My favourite flowers are the Asian cherry blossom; the soft, light pink of a child's soft blush - natural and fragile. 


I really love the meaning behind the cherry blossom. It's very fragile and has a short life span which is why it's known as the transient of life. In Japan a fallen cherry blossom represents a samurai's life because in an story, a cherry blossom tree grew on the lands of a Samurai for over a hundred years. When the Samurai became old the tree began to die. The Samurai grew very sad over his beloved tree's death. He was a brave and honorable man and thought of a way to save his tree. 

One night he committed the ritual suicide under the tree. His essence mingled with the tree's and within one hour, the tree began to blossom and continues to live even to today.

That story is really beautiful to me because of what it represents. If I visit Japan I would love to try and see  that cherry blossom tree.


A cherry blossom is also the sign of female dominance. 


In the language of herbs the cherry blossom is the symbol of love.


That's probably why the cherry blossom is my favourite flower. It means sacrifice, love, and has some feminist qualities.


x tanisha (:

1 comment:

  1. Let me begin by saying how much I am enjoying your voice and your approach to writing. You are experimenting with words and styles and seem to be capturing some beautiful notions and images.

    Your candle post and your vignettes have really caught my eye and I look forward to harnessing your passion into a crisp and powerful voice. Keep up the great work.

    Just keep writing your ideas and daydreams down in this space and let's see where we end up.

    I love Japanese cheery blossoms too, and now that I know the context of the Samurai and the symbol of feminism, I like them even more. Thank you for teaching me.

    ReplyDelete